Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I’ve been scammed out of $950

I’ve been scammed out of $950
I got a call saying I was elected for a grant and that all I had to do was get these cards reveal the codes n they will send me the money they ended up taking $950 and won’t answer my call I never got the money I have the number they called me off and the names they used
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

I understand how you must feel.

The IRS does allow you to claim a tax deduction when you have suffered a THEFT. This is a theft.

Individuals are required to claim their casualty and theft losses as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A.pdf, Itemized Deductions.

Report casualty and theft losses on Form 4684.pdf, Casualties and Thefts. Use Section A for personal-use property on the form. You must itemize your deductions to claim the loss.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4