Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What I need to file is the 1040NR and the Schedule C. Is…

Customer Question
What I need to file...
What I need to file is the 1040NR and the Schedule C. Is there anything else I need to file as a visitor with a J-1 visa?If I have been on the J-1 visa internship program since September 2017, am i Resident Alien, or a Nonresident Alien?On a practical level, where and how should I send the forms after I have completed them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you are a J-1 visa holder, you are exempt for two calendar years from being a resident of the US for tax purposes.

So you will be a non-resident for 2017 and 2018 and will begin counting the days for the Substantial Presence Test on 1/1/19.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

If you are not enclosing a payment, mail Form 1040NR to:

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX###-##-####/p>

If enclosing a payment, mail Form 1040NR to:

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 1303

Charlotte, NC###-##-####/p>

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent