Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am in the US under a J1 visa for an Internship program…

Customer Question
Hi,I am in the US...
Hi,I am in the US under a J1 visa for an Internship program since September 2017.The organization I am working for is paying me as a contractor (self-employed), so I received a 1099-MISC form to make my taxes.I would like a clear answer on:How should I file my taxes if my employer has not given me a W2?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If not interested, simply decline.

Still writing...

As a contractor receiving a Form 1099-MISC, you would file the Schedule C. The bot***** *****ne numbers from the Schedule C will transfer over to the Form 1040NR that you also need to file. On the Schedule C you will report your income and any associated expenses relating to that income.

Link to Schedule C:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

--------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Great thank you. I now have following questions:What I need to file is the 1040NR and the Schedule C. Is there anything else I need to file as a visitor with a J-1 visa?If I have been on the J-1 visa internship program since September 2017, am i Resident Alien, or a Nonresident Alien?On a practical level, where and how should I send the forms after I have completed them?

I am going to be signing off the computer shortly and didn't expect the additional questions, therefore, I am going to opt out so that someone else can assist you.

Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi! Different expert here. I've been working in international tax for over 31 years, with over 33 years' total tax experience.

I don't think that your employer is treating you correctly. First of all, to work under a J visa, you are supposed to be employed by an employer, not self-employed. If I may ask, what do you do?

As far as filing a Form 1040NR, and determining if you are a resident alien or a nonresident alien, since you arrived so late in the year it would be best if you made the "first year choice" election. Then you would be treated as a resident alien from day 1 that you arrived. This would allow you do claim the standard deduction, exemptions if you have any, and pay tax at the better single or married filing joint rates (instead of a flat 30% for filing as a nonresident).

You file the forms based on where in the United States you live. There are 7 different service centers covering different parts of the US.

I hope that this has answered your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any more questions? Is everything clear?

If you don't have any more questions, please don't forget to rate me, as that is how questions are closed.

Thanks!