Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and I have agreed that we were separated in August…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I have agreed that we were separated in August of 2016 but we have not filed any paperwork with the courts yet. What are my options for filing status. We live in California

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you want to know ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can file joint with your spouse or Married Filing Separate.

If you file separate you will each need to report your own income and taxes withheld and half your spouse's income and taxes withheld.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.