Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to amend my federal and State return to correct

I need to amend...

I need to amend my federal and State return to correct "Payer Federal ID Number".

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Both federal and state returns have been rejected because of an incorrect "Payer Federal ID Number".

3/15/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You do not amend your return (file form 1040X) for a rejected return. You need to open your return back up in whatever program you used to prepare and enter the correct EIN on the W2

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm retired and don't have a W-2, just a 1099R.

Thanks, ***** ***** EIN on the 1099R is not correct

Get the 1099R and look at the PAYER’S federal identification number and the number entered on the 1099R online.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I typed in the wrong number while doing my taxes.

That happens. Edit it

Then resend

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I get back into my turbotax return to correct it?

Hold on one sec , I will get the directions

You can go directly to Form 1099R by following these steps:

1. Sign into your account and select your current return

2. Select TaxTools on the bottom left and then select Tools (see attached TaxTools)

3. Select Topic Search (see attached Topic Search)

4. Search for 1099R and select Go

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, Robin. I'll give it a try.

You are most welcome.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4