Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Lost my house in Sheriff Sale as previously stated. How do I…

Customer Question
Lost my house in Sheriff...
Lost my house in Sheriff Sale as previously stated. How do I claim on my taxes?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 4 months ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Was this property your personal residence?

Originally yes but I rented it out from March 1 2017 through November 30 2017. Rent was $1000 but didn’t receive every month.
Tell me what you think

There is no deductible loss on a sale of your personal residence.

How long did you own the property before you rented it on March 1st?

How much did you pay for the property?

Was there a mortgage on the property when it was sold by the Sheriff, & approximately what was the outstanding balance?

Owned since February 1990.

Well, you didn't answer the remainder of my questions, but you may be surprised to learn that if there was a mortgage on the property, the lender may send you a 1099 reporting income from the debt forgiveness on the balance of the mortgage, if any, beyond the proceeds from the sale of home.