Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grandson and daughter live with me. Can I claim head of…

Customer Question
Hello, My grandson and...

Hello, My grandson and daughter live with me. Can I claim head of household even though I am single?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What specifically? My daughter claims my grandson as a dependent, but I supply him with a home, utilities and sometimes food and clothing.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I am aware of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, if the requirements are met, you can claim the head of Household status. I will provide you with the requirements in the next thread.

---------------------------

Note that telephone and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

You can efile your tax return using the Head of Household if you meet all 3 of these Head of Household filing status requirements:

1. You were not married (you were single, divorced, or legally separated), or were "considered unmarried" on the last day of the tax year.
  2. You paid more than half the cost of "keeping up a home" for the year.
  3. A "Qualifying Person" lived with you in that home for more than half the year, except for temporary absences (a dependent parent is not required to live with you).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.efile.com/irs-head-of-household-tax-filing-status/

-------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.