Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have owned a duplex for 35 yrs., lived on one side for 20…

Customer Question
I have owned a...

I have owned a duplex for 35 yrs., lived on one side for 20 plus, rented other side out, sold it this year, fully depreciated, can I claim home exemption

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

See above

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 month ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

If you lived in your half of the Duplex for at least 2 out of the 5 years ending with the date of sale, you can use the capital gains exception for 1/2 of the sale of the property.

The other 1/2 (rented) would not qualify and you would have to report 1/2 of the sales proceeds for that portion of the building as a long-term capital gain on Form 8949 and Schedule D.

If you properly allocated a portion of the original purchase price to the Land (which wouldn't have been subject to depreciation), then 1/2 of the amount that you originally allocated to the Land would serve as the tax basis for the rental 1/2 of the duplex and would reduce the taxable capital gain. The remaining 1/2 of the Land allocation would increase the tax basis of the 1/2 of the property allocated to your personal residence.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert