Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a 75 yr old AZ renter. I wish to use AZ Form 201. My…

Customer Question
I am a 75...

I am a 75 yr old AZ renter. I wish to use AZ Form 201. My question is there a household financial cap that would allow or prevent me from using this form?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received some information that because there are other relatives in my household, 1 who does work, but does not pay me rent, I am NOT able to take the tax credit that Form 201 would allow me. Is this accurate?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

The form does not indicate and income cap, not do i see anywhere where it states another person living with you disqualifies you from claiming the credit. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

Only one renter in each rental unit can claim the property tax credit. If you are filing a joint Arizona return, enter your names (in the space provided above Part 1) as they appear on your return. Only enter the social security number of the person claiming the credit.

Some qualifications to claim the Property Tax Credit are as follows: • you paid rent; • You are 65 or older on December 3l, 2016, OR if you are under age 65, you are on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Title 16; and • you do not live in public housing operated by the city, county, state, or qualified charitable institutions that do not pay property taxes.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.azdor.gov/Portals/0/ADOR-forms/TY2016/10400/10417_inst.pdf

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I understand that nowhere on the 201 Form does it mention a money cap. My question to you is, under AZ state income tax law, is there somewhere mention that THERE IS A MONEY CAP? Or are you saying that because it does not state a cap on the 201 form, that any other reasoning is incorrect? As I mentioned in my 1st "chat", I was told that there is a household cap. This is what I am trying to determine.

Normally the instructions on the form would indicate if there was an income cap. However, I will check a bit further to see if I can find information relating to a cap on the income to claim this credit. I will get back to you shortly.

I found some additional information. #4 shows the income limit. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------

Property Tax Credit Line 56 - You may claim the property tax credit if you meet all of the following:

1. You were either 65 or older in 2017 or, if under age 65, you were receiving SSI Title 16 income from the Social Security Administration.

Note: SSI Title 16 income is not the normal Social Security disability.

2. You were an Arizona resident for the full year in 2017.

3. You paid property tax on your Arizona home in 2017. You paid rent on taxable property for the entire year or you did a combination of both.

4. If you lived alone, your total household income was under $3,751. If you lived with others, the total household income was under $5,501.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.taxslayer.com/support/1337/Arizona-Credits?language=1