Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I recently discovered that a health aid I buy at the super…

Customer Question
I recently discovered that...

I recently discovered that a health aid I buy at the super market is paid for by medicare. I saved no documentation of purchase from Kroger.. Purchase amounts to cost of over

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

1,800. Can I still claim deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

NO. I DIDNOT DOCUMENT A MEDICAL EXPENSE .

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

The IRS allows you to deduct "qualified medical expenses" if they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. They define qualified medical expenses as:

"Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes.

Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental disability or illness. They don't include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation."

They usually do not include health supplements or over-the-counter medications such as aspirin or Ibuprofen or Tylenol. So if this is a medical expense that is covered by Medicare, then it would be a qualified medical expense for the IRS.

The second, and bigger, question is whether you can deduct it without documentation of the purchase. With that large of an amount, did you pay it by check or credit/debit card? If so, that can serve as proof of purchase, as the store can use it to locate the actual receipt. IF you truly have no documentation, then you if you take the deduction and you get audited (very slim chance unless you have something very unusual) the expenses may be disallowed on audit.

However, I have a friend who is a CPA and he says it is always better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. In other words, take the deduction and worry about it if you ever get audited (again, the chances are you won't).

I hope that I have answered your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I Will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any further questions?

taxmanrog
taxmanrog