Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Hoping you can help me. I am opening a retail store front in…

Hoping you can help...

Hoping you can help me

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am opening a retail store front in Iowa. Do I charge Iowa sales tax to all customers?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I also have an online website where anyone in the US can purchase.... so I charge them sales tax and how much?

3/15/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Iowa is a destination based state as to sales tax.

For the store front, you will charge sales tax to your customers.

For the online website, you will charge sales tax to your customer based on their location in Iowa.

Example: You live and run your business in Iowa City, IA where the sales tax rate is the 6% state rate with no added local rates, but you sell to a customer in Dubuque, IA. The sales tax rate in Dubuque is made up of the 6% Iowa sales tax rate plus the 1% Dubuque County rate for a total of 7%. Since Iowa is a destination-based sales tax state you would charge your buyer the 7% sales tax rate due to where they are located.

You do not collect sales tax from customers located outside of Iowa.

https://www.taxjar.com/states/iowa-sales-tax-online/#is-what-youre-selling-even-taxable

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to ask the customer where they live every time there is a transaction in person?

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent