Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question ..I live in West Chester Ohio, my office…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question ..I live in West Chester Ohio , my office is in Cincinnati Ohio. I mainly work remotely from home and in my Florida home which also a certified office can I get the city taxes back I paid to Cincinnati if I was only in that office once a week? please advise

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of

3/15/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Here's hopw Cinti puts it:

...

All nonresidents of Cincinnati engaged in business within the City of Cincinnati, or whose compensation was earned within Cincinnati and did not have Cincinnati tax withheld from their earnings, must file a tax return whether or not tax is due."

...

If you live and/or work within the City of Cincinnati, you are subject to the 2.1% income tax on your earnings. This tax must be paid to the City of Cincinnati regardless of your age or level of income.

...

But given that you only have Cinti source income for the time spent there, if you use the Schedule Y - Page 2 where it says "SCHEDULE Y - BUSINESS APPORTIONMENT FORMULA (To be completed by all nonresidents who earn a portion of their net profits in Cincinnati.)" - you'll get back, as a refund, any tax already paid in or withheld.

...

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance/income-taxes/2017-tax-forms/2017-individual-tax-return/

If you're an employee and not a sole proprietor, LLC member, partner, then you'll use worksheet A, which may not be as generous, as this only gives a credit for taxes paid to other localities

Let me know if you have questions,

Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

thank you lane...do you think I will get the entire amount I paid or just a portion?

Just a portion ... if you own the business, then you'll get all the taxes paid in - tax owed on those weeks you work in Cincinnati.

...

If you are an employee, you use worksheet A and you'll get back a credit of withholding paid to other localities.

thank you :)
last question
who do I may the form to?

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you! :0)

Lane

City of Cincinnati Income Tax Division

PO Box 637876

Cincinnati OH###-##-####/p>

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

E-file available at: https://web2.civicacmi.com/Cincinnati

how do I give my rating?

You should see green stars (or maybe they turn green when you click, I can remember) on your screen.

...

If you're on a device (phone, tablet) you may need to swipe left or right.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks much.