Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm doing a 1031 exchange. Where (forms and lines) do I

Customer Question
Hi Barbara,I'm doing a 1031...
Hi Barbara,I'm doing a 1031 exchange. Where (forms and lines) do I reflect the adjusted basis on my 1040? I'm looking at the Asset Entry Worksheet in Schedule E. Thanks.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for requesting me.

Use Form 8824 to report the exchange.

Use Form 4797 to report any gain.

The following links contain excellent information:

http://www.exeter1031.com/reporting_1031_exchange_for_income_taxes.aspx

https://www.finweb.com/taxes/how-to-report-a-1031-exchange-on-your-tax-return.html

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I got that part already - 8824 is done. At this time, I'm asking how to show the carryover and excess basis and start depreciating them. The Form 4562 Section B depreciable basis is based off the underlying asset worksheet but the worksheet. I'm thinking I have to use Lines 58:61e but I'm not sure how yet. I want to use the special election in the middle of page 9 of the form 4562 instructions (Form 4562 Asset Entry Worksheet line 58).The goal is to see the correct basis (carryover + excess) show up in the right place which would lead to the right amount of depreciation being calculated. Thanks.

The price point for this question is quite low for the assistance you require. I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Thank you.

okay