Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Does a Husband and wife, ages 86 and 75 still continue to…

Does a Husband and...

Does a Husband and wife, ages 86 and 75 still continue to pay the IRS? Our combined income is less that $50,000. I am a 100% Disabled Veteran, which is not part of the info that I have to file

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I was told by another Disabled Veteran that if he and his wife file seperatly, and don't put down her income from Social Security, that he doesn't have to file anymore. He said that he did this three years ago, without the IRS telling him it was wrong.

3/15/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A married couple filing Joint where both spouses are 65 or older with taxable income of $23,300 would still be required ot file.

Your VA is not counted in the income. So if you truly have income of $50,000 (not counting the VA) you must file.

When you file separate and receive SSA benefits, you will most likely have some of that SSA taxable if you have any other income.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
MY VA Income is 3200.00 /Month. I also receive a quartly check from the Osage Tribe for a Headright, which is considered income. Also, I am a retired Insurance agent, whos renewal income in 2017 was 9100.00. That's about it, except for our SS checks which was $24,000 in 2017
Please call me later in the day, I have several honey doo's that need to be taken care of.
Home phone(###) ###-####Thanks: Bill Webster

You take half the SS and add that to the other income that is taxable. If that amount is more than $32,000 then some of the SSA is taxable.

Lane
Lane, JD, MBA, CFP, CRPS
Phone call session started