Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I claimed my adult son who was in school and also had a job,

Hi I claimed my...

Hi I claimed my adult son who was in school and also had a job, I have health insurance through my employer. My son had then healthcare marketplace. The irs wants me to submit a 1095 A for him but he was gonna file his tax return himself (can be claimed by someone else) and submit his 1095 A and 8962. But when he tried it using TurboTax it said to him”since someone can claim you on their 2017 taxes, you don’t have to complete Health Insurance “ is there anyway he can do that or do I have to do that on my tax return?

3/15/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Your son just checks the box that some one can claim him and he does not send in anything with his return or verify health coverage. You do that on your return.

You send his 1095A as your dependent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Won’t that appear that I took a tax tax credit to get low cost health insurance and not him? Because I make way more than him since he only worked part time while attending school

That is the only way to proceed if you are claiming your son. If you claim him you must verify his coverage on your return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4