Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Sale of S Corp Stock: Taxpayer sells S Corp stock to other…

Sale of S Corp Stock...
Sale of S Corp Stock: Taxpayer sells S Corp stock to other shareholders for no gain / no loss. Payments (no interest) structured over several years. Schedule D in year of sale? Or, no Schedule D (no gain / no loss). Form 6252 would only come into play if installment sale w/ gain. Please confirm. I'm overthinking this. Year of sale and first payments was 2016. New client. I don't want to amend. (I am still in the process of confirming no gain.) Thanks in advance.
3/15/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help.

You're overthinking this. No installment method unless there is a gain. So, just schedule D in year of sale to report the stock sale and stock basis.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Good. If no gain, and year of sale was 2016, would you recommend amending?

If the did not do a Schedule D? No, unless they received a 1099-B reporting the sale. If they did, I would amend to avoid a matching notice.

Carter McBride
Thanks, Carter.