Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Parents are getting divorced, husband is paying child

Customer Question
Parents are getting divorced...

Parents are getting divorced, husband is paying child support and alimony. Wife has given permission to her mother to claim child on (mother’s) taxes. Why wouldn’t father be able to claim on his taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The child is receiving support from her father. Can parent that has custody give grandmother the permission to claim child on taxes? Father was not aware of this until yesterday.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The grandmother bought the $300.000.00 condo for her daughter and grandchild, mother and lives rent free. I would think the father should be able to claim the child on his taxes instead of grandmother.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I assume the child is NOT living with the father - correct?

If so - the father is not custodial parent.

He may claim the child for some tax benefits with attached form 8332 signed by the mother who is the custodial parent.

Let me know if any clarification needed.

I was unaware that the cost was more than $5.00. I want this and whatever costs that have been charged to my account refunded ASAP. The advertising wasn’t clear and unfair to automatically sign me up. VERY UNHAPPY. Nancy *******

Please be aware that MY job is to address your tax related questions.

While your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed - please direct all other requests to the customer service.

If you change your mind - you are welcome back with all your tax related issues.