Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My friend overseas is creating a kickstarter campaign and he…

Hello Hello,My friend overseas...

Hello Hello,My friend overseas is creating a kickstarter campaign and he will input his US registered business EIN number into the online form. He needs a US citizen to act as the company contact inside the kickstarter campaign, and if he uses my name, he has to input the last 4 digit of my social and provide a scan of my US drivers license. My question is -- am I liable for US taxes by doing this? At first I thought not, because he provides his US business EIN, but now I am not sure because I am giving my contact info and last four digits of social -- am I liable for taxes? thanks

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Can someone answer my question?

3/15/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes you will be. The IRS will look to you as the contact should any tax not be paid or correct filing.

hi, you mean I will be liable if any tax is not paid or correct filing?
sorry, 2 part question.
1) i will be liable if any tax is not paid or correct filing?
2) but in the standard IRS reporting next year, I won't have to report it because the business EIN should take care of it?

Yes, you would be responsible to file if your friend does not and you would be liable for any US tax.

Ok -- so as LONG as the company reports and files proper US taxes -- then I do not have to pay taxes on it too, is that correct?

As long as Kickstarter does not have you listed as person that is over this account and you are not listed as a receiver of any of the money, yes.

I am not sure either. Unless I are active in this and were receiving a benefit from it I would not let my name and number be used.

I always advise people not to let them self be used by anyone else for contact or anything like this.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4