Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

California property tax. We are about to do an addition for…

Customer Question
California property tax. We are...
California property tax. We are about to do an addition for about $100k. Does that add $100k to the County's Assessed Value or is the entire property reassessed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Only the value added of the new addition/construction will increase your current assessment. For example, if you build a family room, only the value added of the new construction will be added to your current assessment. The existing home will not be reassessed for tax purposes. ​

The added value of the new addition may not necessarily be your cost to install the new addition.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what if we replace our roof for the entire house at the same time? Is only the square footage for the addition added to assessment?

It will be based on the value the roof adds to the house.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent