Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Received 1099- with the ability to import into my program.

Received 1099-B with the ability...
Received 1099-B with the ability to import into my program. There are several transactions that were imported as "Undetermined Term Transactions for Noncovered Tax Lots. The program automatically put these transaction as a short term transaction with No Quantity of stocks sold, no date acquired, no cost basis and a gain was realized for the amount reported as proceeds. Giving me an additional short term gain of $19,599.92. On the 1099-B Transaction statement, none of these transaction have a gain nor a loss. So, what to do with this information imported? The additional information given was PRINCIPAL Payment. Are these truly gains?
3/15/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

The program doesn't appear to be importing the information correctly. Unfortunately, I would manually impute the cost basis, purchase price and sale's price.

Principal payments are not gains.

Please give me any other information you have so I can assist you in trouble shooting this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, that is my question. The program automatically just imports the information and automatically give it's a gain, with no basis or acquire date. These transactions has a note that they must be reviewed, because the program assumes a gain because of the net proceeds it reports. So, I would need to zero it out I am assuming of which I can ask the program tech service for that. My question was because the 1099-B statement does not show a gain or a loss with a note on each transaction stating it's a principal payment with a proceed $XXX...etc....

The 1099 B does not always show a gain or loss, because the brokerage firm doesn't always track the cost basis. The tax payer is required to document their cost basis and determine their gain or loss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is my understanding. But if it classified as principal payments, does that mean there can be a possible Gain?
A principal payment generally would not be a taxable gain
Chad EA, CFP ®
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help.
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®