Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I only had 8 out of 12 months of health coverage on

1095-B, what should I put...
If I only had 8 out of 12 months of health coverage on 1095-B, what should I put on line 11 on 1040 EZ it states: Health Care individual responsibility, there is a box for full year coverage and then the section where you put $ amounts. Should I leave it blank?
3/15/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you did not have full year coverage - you might be subject to the penalty for missing months.

Do not check the box "Full-year coverage" - leave it blank

If you are using any tax preparation software - that penalty will be calculated for you and on form 1040EZ will be listed on line 11.

If you qualify for some exemption - you may want to use form 8965 and attach it to your tax return.

That may help to reduce the penalty.

That may help to reduce the penalty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I submit 8965 at a later date? I only have the first 4 months missing.

If you are eligible for any exemption - only in this situation - you will use form 8965 .

Otherwise - no need to use.

If you want to add this form later - you will need to amend your tax return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or does it HAVE TO be submitted when I submit my taxes. I'd like to do some research with the Health and Human Service Agency first. If I don't attach the form it won't affect the 1040-EZ will it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At the same time I should say. I will submit the health information by the deadline. I should clarify that.

If you do not claim any exemption - your will be liable for the full penalty for these missing months.

But you still may file.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help!
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor