Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I only had 8 out of 12 months of health coverage on

1095-B, what should I put...
If I only had 8 out of 12 months of health coverage on 1095-B, what should I put on line 11 on 1040 EZ it states: Health Care individual responsibility, there is a box for full year coverage and then the section where you put $ amounts. Should I leave it blank?
3/15/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you did not have full year coverage - you might be subject to the penalty for missing months.

Do not check the box "Full-year coverage" - leave it blank

If you are using any tax preparation software - that penalty will be calculated for you and on form 1040EZ will be listed on line 11.

If you qualify for some exemption - you may want to use form 8965 and attach it to your tax return.

That may help to reduce the penalty.

That may help to reduce the penalty.

Can I submit 8965 at a later date? I only have the first 4 months missing.

If you are eligible for any exemption - only in this situation - you will use form 8965 .

Otherwise - no need to use.

If you want to add this form later - you will need to amend your tax return.

Or does it HAVE TO be submitted when I submit my taxes. I'd like to do some research with the Health and Human Service Agency first. If I don't attach the form it won't affect the 1040-EZ will it?
At the same time I should say. I will submit the health information by the deadline. I should clarify that.

If you do not claim any exemption - your will be liable for the full penalty for these missing months.

But you still may file.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Thank you for your help!