Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I've got a couple who want to file on their personal return…

Customer Question
I've got a couple who...
I've got a couple who want to file on their personal return next year rather than continuing filing in their LLC as a partnership. On the Federal form, 8832 Entity Classification Election, Part 1, Question 6, which box should I tick off?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Are you saying that the couple wants to be considered a Joint Venture using the Schedule C instead of filing the Form 1065? Please clarify.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the couple wants to be considered a Joint Venture.

to make the election to be considered a Qualified Joint Venture, the Form 8832 is not required. SEE BELOW:

--------------------------------

How to Make the Election to be Treated as a Qualified Joint Venture

Spouses make the election on a jointly filed Form 1040 by dividing all items of income, gain, loss, deduction, and credit between them in accordance with each spouse’s respective interest in the joint venture, and each spouse filing with the Form 1040 a separate Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship) or Schedule F (Form 1040), Profit of Loss From Farming and, if otherwise required, a separate Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax. For example, to make the election for 2014, jointly file your 2014 Form 1040, with the required schedules (see below). The partnership terminates at the end of the taxable year immediately preceding the year the election takes effect. For information on how to report the business for the taxable year before the election is made, see Publication 541 on Partnerships and terminations.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorporated-businesses

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant