Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client who created a non profit to collect Gofundme…

I have a client who...
I have a client who created a non profit to collect Gofundme donations for their daughter. Do they have to file taxes? I know normally gifts up to a certain amount are not taxable, but they received a 1099-INT from the bank. If they file, do they file just to claim the income from the 1099-INT? And what tax form should they file?
3/14/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Does your clients have other income?

they have income from their jobs, separate from the non profit. The 1099-INT was for the nonprofit account they set up for the gofundme. the bank gave them a $250 bonus for opening the account

Is the $250 the amount showing on the 1099-INT?

Based on the following information, the answer is no, they do not need to report the amount. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------------

General Rule

By and large, interest is not subject to income tax for nonprofit corporations. For example, if a donor contributed corporate bonds to a charity, the charity could receive the interest from the bonds without recognizing taxable income.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/interest-income-subject-tax-nonprofit-corporation-70213.html

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant