Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question regarding my Roth Ira contributions.I dont…

Hello-I have a question...

Hello-I have a question regarding my Roth Ira contributions.I dont have a retirement plan at my work but my wife has a plan,which I believe is a 401K.We made right around $110,000 together last year.My main question is can we contribute a 3,600 vacation check from my wifes work to my IRA before the tax deadline,would it be worth it as far as reducing our tax bill?I did not contribute to my Roth and I know I can go up to $5,500.We almost lost our home a few years ago and are just now getting back on our feet so I have not contributed but have the $3,600 and was wondering how much it would reduce the tax bill?Thanks for any advice you could give.Steve

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I basically would like to know if it would be worth it to contribute the $3,600 to my Roth before the April 17 tax deadline

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You can contribute to the IRA before April 15, 2018 for 2017 tax year

The Roth IRA does NOT provide a tax reduction when you take it. A standard IRA does.

The advantage of the Roth IRA is that all earnings are tax free, even when you withdraw them, but you pay taxes on the money in the year you made the contribution as the money was part of your earned income.

With a traditional IRA you take a deduction for the contribution off of you 2017 taxes, BUT you must pay taxes on the withdraws you make in the future.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

The ROTH IRA is probably the best long term tax advnataged way to save and invest that we have ever had.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.Glad I didnt put the $3,600 into the Roth.I left a 5 star and a 35%tip.

Thank you very much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would I be able to open a standard IRA before the tax deadline and contribute the $3,600?I will leave you another tip.Thanks

YES!.

You can contribute to either before the tax filing deadline for the priot year. So you can contribute to the standard IRA and take the dedcution for the contribution.

To estimate your tax savings multiply the contribution by your tax bracket.

So if you are in the 15% bracket your tax savings will be approximately $540.00 (roughly).

If that is significant then do the standard IRA. If you would rather that money grow and NEVER pay taxes again on that money do the Roth.

Thank you for your generosity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.We apparently make too much and we can only claim our daughter for 2017,with no other write offs.Ok then,Ill check with ***** *****cock Investments where I have the Roth and see about opening a standard IRA.Thanks again

Good luck.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney