Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How many years back, (2010-2013)?, can you claim one of your…

Customer Question
How many years back, (2010-2013)?...
How many years back, (2010-2013)?, can you claim one of your children as a dependent, even though they are grown but made under $3200 for that year?
Also, if you went ahead and filed for them separately in those years, can I go back and claim them as a dependent if they made less than $3200, etc for those same years?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

2013 is the only year you can amend to receive a refund by adding a dependent because of the Statute of Limitations.

If the children filed their own tax return and claimed themselves, they will have to amend their returns to state that they are being claimed and pay back any part of the refund they received for claiming themselves.

In order to claim an adult child, the following requirements must be met:

To be a dependent as a qualifying relative, in addition to being a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:

• you must provide more than 1/2 of their support,
  • they must not earn more than $3,900 in 2015 in gross income subject to tax (social security doesn't count).
  • they must not file a joint return with another
  • If not an actual relative, they must live with you all 365 days of the year, and
  • they must not be a qualifying child of another taxpayer

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** whatsoever and yes I was the sole provider for many years.

You mentioned that you filed for them separately.

How did you file for them if they had no income?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the other years Barbara, even if they made less than the allowed amount where I could have claimed them. Just going to look at 2013 and see what we did that year.

As I mentioned, if they filed tax returns in 2013 and claimed themselves, they will have to amend their returns to state they are being claimed and repay the portion of the refund they received for claiming themselves.

You can then amend your 2013 return to claim them as dependents. The deadline to do so is April 15, 2018.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read what you said the 1st time, thanks!

I just want to make sure you understand this is a two-step process.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent