Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can i file separate from my husband, he is 70 and retired.

Customer Question
Can i file separate...

Can i file separate from my husband, he is 70 and retired

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Do I have to file with his SS income

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes, you can decide any year that you are not going to file a joint return. You would then file Married Filing Separate and no , you are not required to report his income unless you live in a Community property state.

Community property states require you report all your own income and taxes withheld and half your spouse's income and taxes withheld.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4