Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold my silver bars for $9118 bought them for $5245 what…

I sold my silver...

I sold my silver bars for $9118 bought them for $5245 what form do I used 8949

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I bought them for $5675 and I'm getting ready to file my taxes

3/14/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes , you report on form 8949 if you are not a dealer. Gold, silver, gems, stamps, coins, etc., are capital assets except when they are held for sale by a dealer. Any gain or loss from their sale or exchange generally is a capital gain or loss. If you are a dealer, the amount received from the sale is ordinary business income.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought my silver bars in 2008 and sold them in Dec 2017
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Ok, I hope you read my above answer.

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4