Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This is from tax year 2013. My ex-husbands company withheld…

Customer Question
Second opinion] This is...

Second opinion] This is from tax year 2013. My ex-husbands company withheld taxes from his paycheck but never paid that money to the IRS. That company has since gone out of business. The IRS keeps trying to get us to pay them the money (about 10000) even though we have explained to them that we already paid it. Are they not supposed to go after the company for that money?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2018
Tax Professional: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

[second opinion] This is from tax year 2013. My ex-husbands company withheld taxes from his paycheck but never paid that money to the IRS. That company has since gone out of business. The IRS keeps trying to get us to pay them the money (about 10000) even though we have explained to them that we already paid it. Are they not supposed to go after the company for that money?

Response: Yes, IRS is supposed to do that. However, since IRS is not doing that, you would need to file Petition with U.S.Tax Court to resolve this issue. Click here for more information on filing petition with the Tax Court.

Goodluck with your case,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.