Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Let me see if I can explain this without too much wordage…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Okay, let...

Second opinion] Okay, let me see if I can explain this without too much wordage lol.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am re-calculating my 2015 taxes due to gambling winnings vs. losses.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I did my 2017 taxes yesterday which will help make up some of the money the IRS says I owe, (and am going to re-do my 2015 taxes on-line once more to put my LOSSES in). I did not put the winnings as I lost at 2 casinos and did not know until last year I needed to report the winnings. So with last years tax money available, (as my 36 yr. old has been living with me for the past 4 yrs. and we just moved here 2 yrs. ago), I was able to claim her for the past 3 yrs. I am going to re-add my winnings and losses for the 2015 year back on tax act; my other question is how many years back can I claim my oldest daughter who lived with me as a dependent, (I. e. 2010-2013)? even though I filed her taxes separately and didn't realize until 2014 if she didn't make over $3200-$3600/yr. I could have claimed here in the prior years. Can I do this 5-8 years later and amend my taxes from those years?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 6 days by:
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can only amend for the past 3 years. The IRS allows you to correct a return and get a refund or apply a credit for the 3 years previously. To claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4