Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I did my son Income Tax - he owes nothing. His income is…

I did my son...

I did my son Income Tax - he owes nothing. His income is only Social Security Disability. He is 54 yrs old and has a terminal disease. I have not filed it yet, do I have to?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My son is on Medicare and Medicaid. His Social Security does not take out any medical for him on account of his health problems. He is not married, I am his caregiver, he lives with me.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No not that I can think of.

3/14/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

You do not have to do the return, however since it is already done, there is no harm in it. Filing will start the statute of limitations the IRS has to audit the return, whereas not filing keeps that statute of limitations open indefinitely.

Unless it would be overly burdensome for you, since its already done, you might as well file it to start the statute of limitations.

Having the return filed could also help expedite any possible future income based benefits he may receive.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question, if I file his return then can I still claim him as a dependent/disabled and get the Earned Income Credit?

Yes you can. Just make sure on his return he is not claiming the exemption. One the form after filing status, you'll see Exemptions. Just make sure that says 0 and you are good to go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the info, you have been extremely helpful

No problem. If you need anything else just let me know. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride
Carter McBride