Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a 53 year old son who is living with me and I provide…

Customer Question
I have a 53...

I have a 53 year old son who is living with me and I provide 100% of his living expenses. He has never filed income tax and has $0 income. Can I claim him as a dependent on my income tax?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My son has been in and out of prison most of his adult life and has never had a normal job.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The rules to claim a "qualifying child" or "qualifying relative" on your tax return are:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

The 4 tests that will qualify a relative as a dependent are:

• Qualifying Child: They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child.”
  • Gross Income: The dependent being claimed earns less than $4,050 in 2017 ($4,050 in 2016).
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household.

Based on the information you provided, your son would qualify as a "qualifying relative" dependent.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent