Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a retired Veteran drawing a pension. I received 1099R…

I am a retired...

I am a retired Veteran drawing a pension. I received 1099R from Dept of Def. Is my retired pension from military taxable in Minnesota? I thought a new law went into affect last year making military pensions non taxable in Minnesota. I use Turbo Tax. Do I put my amount of pension received in Turbo Tax? Is there somewhere on 1099R that tells it is deferred?

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Request assistance. Thank kyou.

3/14/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your pension may be fully taxable or partially taxable or not taxable depending on circumstances.

On your form 1099R - taxable portion of your pension is reported on box 2a.

On your 1040 form - you will report

from 1099R box 1 -->> 1040 line 16a

1099R box 2a -->> 1040 line 16b

.

Let me know what other items are reported on form 1099R ?

I know it is taxable Federal I am looking at Ste only MINNESOTA
No thank you! I wlll pay the $5.00 only!

For tax years 2015 and earlier, military pensions and other military retirement pay received by Minnesota residents was taxable by Minnesota.

Beginning with tax year 2016, Minnesota will allow taxpayers to subtract certain military retirement pay (including pensions) when calculating Minnesota taxable income and Minnesota alternative minimum taxable income.

To qualify for this subtraction, the retirement pay must be taxable on the federal return, and for:

• service in the active component of the military (U.S. Code Title 10, sections 1401 to 1414),
  • retirement pay for service in the reserve component (U.S. Code Title 10, section 12733), or
  • survivor benefit plan payments (U.S. Code Title 10, sections 1447 to 1455).

To claim the subtraction, you must file Schedule M1M, Income Additions and Subtractions.

Taxpayers who claim this subtraction may not claim the nonrefundable credit for past military service.

Let me know if that helps.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor