Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am an F1 non-resident alien student earning salary from my…

Hi I am an...

Hi I am an F1 non-resident alien student earning salary from my university. Along with the W2 form. I also have capital gains from bitcoin transactions and I have a Form 8949 reporting the transactions. I would like to know what all should I file for the taxes

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No I think this is all I have

3/14/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A flat tax of 30 percent was imposed on U.S. source capital gains in the hands of nonresident alien individuals physically present in the United States for 183 days or more during the taxable year. This 183-day rule bears no relation to the 183-day rule under the substantial presence test of IRC section 7701(b)(3). If you have been in the US for at least 183 days then your tax on the capital gain will be 30% on the profit.

You still will file the 1040NR showing your income form the W2 as well.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Ok Thanks. I definitely fall under that category. So along with I mailing my 1040NR what other forms do I need to attach ? Also will I need to send the money or that will be deducted from my account ?
Also I dont currently hold any crypto currencies, but I have profits on them from transaction in 2017 tax year.
Thank you