Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We have an daughter (turned 18 2/2017) who we have been

We have an daughter...

We have an daughter (turned 18 2/2017) who we have been claiming, she is a full time college student. I know we lose the $1000 for her since she was 18. She had a job in 2017 gross $4717 and Fed WH $104. She needs to file 2017 for a refund, but do we get to claim her at all as dependent since she still lives at home? Does she claim herself or 0??

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing else I can think of.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Yes, you can still take the dependency deduction. She just needs to check the box on HER return that she can be taken as a dependent by another.

...

See this from IRS:

...

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

So, because she meets the age test (under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student) as long as she meets the other tests, you can still take the dependency exemption.

...

Relationship (meets this one)

Residence (meets this one, even if she is at school, she's still considered as living with you)

Age (meets this one)

Support (based on what you said about the income she earned, you meet this one as well)

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lane -- where do I report a 1099- Q for monies received from a 529 for schooling
You may not have to report at all
If the $ were all used for qualified education expenses, there’s no reporting... just keep for your records
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS