Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Section 962 election A US individual owns a foreign

Section 962 election A US individual...
Section 962 election
A US individual owns a foreign corporation which generates GILTI income.
Can the US individual make a section 962 election (to be taxed at corporate rates) and therefore pay only 21% on GILTI income from his foreign corporation?
3/15/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

An election under Sec. 962 may be made only by a U.S. shareholder who is an "individual" (including a trust or an estate) (Regs. Sec. 1.962-2(a)). Partnerships and S corporations may not make a Sec. 962 election, although partners or S corporation shareholders who are considered U.S. shareholders should be able to make a Sec. 962 election (Rev. Rul. 69-124). For this reason, partnerships and S corporations that have Sec. 951(a) income should consider separately stating and disclosing this information on Schedules K-1, thereby allowing the partners and shareholders to evaluate whether making this election is in their best interest.

if a foreign corporation is held by a US individual directly (no S corporations or partnerships in the middle), can he make the 962 election and they pay only 21% tax on GILTI?

Yes if he is an individual then he would pay less.

Will there be additional tax to pay when the earnings are distributed to that individual? So let's say a foreign corporation generates $1000 GILTI, and no other income. It does not distribute anything to the U.S. individual owner that year. The U.S. individual owner pays $210 (21%) tax. Then next year the foreign corporation distributes the $1000 accumulated earnings to the individual. Would that be tax-free?

That depends

I am going to leave you with the following article

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2016/feb/foreign-corporation-earnings-and-profits.html

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4