Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I set up a c corp in ny a few months ago in 2017 but have…

Hi Barbara.I set up a...
Hi Barbara.I set up a c corp in ny a few months ago in 2017 but have not used it at all but I want to keep it. What do i have to file in ny and for federal for a c corp with no expenses or revenue? Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Good morning!

Thank you for requesting me.

Give me a few moments to post my answer.

As to federal, because a C corporation files a tax return and pays taxes, a return is required to be filed even if there is no income/expenses for the year.

File Form 1120 with all zeroes. The due date for filing Form 1120 is April 15, but because April 15 is a Sunday and April 16 is Emancipation Day in Washington, DC (a holiday), the due date is April 17, 2018.

I'll post NJ requirements next.

Thanks. NY, not NJ.

Sorry. Typo at my end.

I'm reviewing NY now.

You will also have to file a tax return in NY (with all zeroes) and pay the minimum tax of $25.

You will use Form CT-3.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/ct/ct3.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Thanks!

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!