Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a general partner of a llimited partnership. Do the…

I am a general partner...
I am a general partner of a llimited partnership. Do the limited partners recognize unrealized gains for 2017.
3/14/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

An unrealized gain or loss is also called a paper profit or paper loss,

For instance - when the partnership owns the building and the value of that building is appreciated - that is unrealized gain.

That is not actual gain, but a potential.

That gain will be realized if for instance the building is sold.

When realized - the gain may be also recognized for tax purposes Or may be partially recognized (for instance when sold on installment agreement) or not recognized (when section 1031 like-kind exchange is used)

However unrealized gains are rare recognized for income tax purposes.

In most situation they are not recognized for either limited or genera partners.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor