Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This question is for an accountant. I have a question about…

Second opinion] Hello ... This...
Second opinion] Hello ... This question is for an accountant. I have a question about a 1099 MISC. I needed to correct the spelling of a name for a vendor that we do business with, so I completed the 1099 MISC and 1096 that the IRS sent me. I am unclear as to who/where to send the following:1. Copy 1 For State Tax department (we are in N.J.) 2. Copy 2 To Be filed with recipients state tax return where required (does this go to our vendor?)3. Copy 3 For Payer (for us?)Thanks so much!
3/14/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to provide you with a second opinion.

Send Copy 1 of Form 1099-MISC information returns with a letter of transmittal to:

State of New Jersey-Division of Taxation

Revenue Processing Center, Gross Income Tax

PO Box 248

Trenton, NJ###-##-####

You are correct about Copies 2 and 3. Copy 2 goes to the recipient (your vendor), and you, as the Payer, keep Copy 3.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thank you ... If copy 2 goes to our vendor then that would mean they get two copies. Is that correct? Also copy 2 because of the carbon is hardly readable, and the state would not be able to read it as is.COPY A - IRS
COPY B - For recipient
COPY 1 - For state tax department
COPY 2 - To be filed with recipients state income tax return, when required
COPY C - For payer.

Your vendor would only require one copy.

If copy 2 is not readable, the vendor can make a copy of his own copy.

But all else is correct.

The main concern is to get the appropriate copies to the proper parties.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Okay, then I will send the IRS their copy with the 1096 transmittal cover, the NJ State copy to the address you gave me, our vendor the recipient copy and the recipient for state filing copy, and will keep the payer copy for myself. Many thanks Barbara!

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

I just received notification of your VERY GENEROUS BONUS. Thank you!

Quick question: Do I copy the transmittal to send to the state also?

Only make a copy of the transmittal to the state for your records.

Thank YOU!

You're welcome!

Hi Barbara ~ Sorry to have to continue, but I want to be sure I do this correctly. At the beginning of this thread you give me the state's address, and instruct me to send copy 1 to the state with the letter of transmittal, but at the end I just noticed that you say not to? I think I phrased the question wrong. What I mean is, do I make a copy of the transmittal I sent to the IRS and send that along with the 1099 MISC copy 1 carbon to the state?

Form 1096 is the transmittal to the IRS.

NJ gets a LETTER of transmittal.

Thank you! ***** get a template somewhere?

I don't know if there's a template.

"Enclosed please find 1099-MISC for 2017 to correct the payee's name."

That sounds like it will accomplish what I need it too - Thank you! :)

Short and to the point.

Keep a copy of the transmittal letter for your records.

Got it - Thank you! I have another unrelated question but I will start another thread so that you get credit for it.

You're welcome.