Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a retired Highway patrol officer. He receives a

1099-R from MS Highway Safety...
I have a retired Highway patrol officer. He receives a 1099-R from MS Highway Safety Patrol. Under the account number
they have HLTH and 11,292.00. Would 3,000.00 be excludable from his retirement income for health insurance
premiums paid.
3/14/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

No, it would not be excluded but he can claim it as Medical expense on Schedule A - Itemized deduction.

Any questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The reason I was asking is my tax software where you enter the 1099R has a place that states retired public safety officers can exclude up to 3,000.00 for health premiums paid directly from plan for health coverage. I guess I was interpreting it wrong?

And did have health insurance through the plan? Did he gave you specific amount he paid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to verify about insurance being through plan. It has on 1099R where the account number is ***** 11,220

There are several conditions that has to be met to exclude up to 3k for health insurance. Is the box 2a filled.

Here's who qualifies:

If the taxpayer is an eligible retired public safety officer (law enforcement officer, firefighter, chaplain, or member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew), they can elect to exclude from income distributions made from an eligible retirement plan that are used to pay the premiums for coverage by an accident or health plan or a long-term care insurance contract. The election can only be made if the taxpayer retired because of disability or because they reached normal retirement age. The premiums can be for coverage for the taxpayer, their spouse, or dependents. The distribution must be from a plan maintained by the employer from which the taxpayer retired as a public safety officer. Also, the distribution must be made directly from the plan to the provider of the accident or health plan or long-term care insurance contract. The amount excluded from income is the smaller of the amount of the premiums or $3,000. This election can only be made for amounts that would otherwise be included in income.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser