Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am filing an extension for an S-Corp for Federal and NJ.

The NJ tax payment for...
I am filing an extension for an S-Corp for Federal and NJ. The NJ tax payment for S-Corps is not due until 4/17 even though the returns are due on 3/15. I would think it is OK to file the extensions now without making a payment to NJ since it isn't due yet but just want to make sure. The stuff I am reading online is not clear. Do you know?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hi Michael

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You are correct that you may file an extension for the S Corp now and pay tax on income which is passed through to the shareholders with tax due by April 17th 2018.

If the S corp needs an extension, then it is OK to file an extension now without making a payment.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

I am not talking about the pass through tax. NJ s-corps have a minimum tax due with the S-Corp return itself. That tax is due 4/17 but have read conflicting things. I am looking for something from NJ which says this.If you can’t find anything please reassign question to Lane who I sent the question to. Thanks.

S Corps minimum tax and filing due date for New Jersey S Corp is located on page one of the instructions 3 (a), which I have linked to below. If the S Corp's accounting period ends on December 31st, 2017 the filing and payment date is April 17th 2018. Please see below

3. (a) 2017 ACCOUNTING PERIODS AND DUE DATES

This 2017 S Corporation Business Tax Return should only be used for accounting periods ending on and after July 31, 2017 through June 30, 2018. The due dates for all 2017 Corporation Business Tax Returns and payments are reported on the following schedule. If the due date falls on a weekend or legal holiday, the return and payment are due on the following business day.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/cbt/cbt100sins.pdf

If accounting period ends on: Dec. 31, 2017

Due date for filing is: Apr. 17, 2018

Thank you!

Due date for filing is 3/15 not 4/17. The payment due date is 4/17.

I spoke to the New Jersey Department of taxation. For the New Jersey S Corp the filing and pay date is laid out in the graph on page one of the instructions for the S Corp filing

For Federal the due date is 3/15

Due date for filing is: Apr. 17, 2018

I confirmed this with the NJ department of taxation.

" The due dates for all 2017 Corporation Business Tax Returns and payments are reported on the following schedule."

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®