Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Howdy! I really appreciate your willingness to help. I just…

Customer Question
Howdy! I really appreciate...

Howdy! I really appreciate your willingness to help. I just found out my refund was kept to satisfy a tax debt I was unaware of. How do I find out what I owe and why? How do I obtain old w-2s, health savings account info from a former employer and start untangling whatever has happened to my taxes? I've been unemployed since 2010 and had no idea anything was wrong! Also, a former employer went out of business and I never got a w-2 from them. How do I obtain one? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm a bit confused and totally freaked out! I've always been good with, and thought I still was good with my taxes! Eeeek! Thanks, ***** *****

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Are there any other details I need to provide?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Kathleen.

My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

The best place to start with information that's required to be sent to IRS by the employer such as W-2's - is to get a tax return transcript.

...

Transcripts are free. You can get them for the current year and the past three years ( and you can get a wage and income transcript which will show all W-2 and 1099 information for the last nine years)

...

In most cases, a transcript includes the tax information you need.

...

A tax account transcript includes your marital status, the type of return you filed, your adjusted gross income and taxable income. It also includes any changes that you or the IRS made to your tax return after you filed it - this is where you'll see how IRS may have changed the return to reflect income reported to them that you didn't report.

...

The quickest way to get a copy of your tax transcript is to use the Get Transcript application. Once you verify your identity, you will be able to view and print your transcript immediately online. This Fact Sheet provides details on how to complete this step.

...

In terms of the HSA, when you get the wage and income transcript, Employer's contribution should not appear in box 1, 3, nor 5 of the W2. Employee's contribution through a cafeteria plan that is believed to be excluded from income should not appear in box 1, 3, nor 5 of the W2. All employer contributions should be in box 12 of the W-2 with code "W"

...

The differences in these numbers will show you if money was contributed on a pre-tax basis. (and to maybe state the obvious - you can get past statements from the administrator of the plan ... this should help to "connect the dots.")