Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What are the tax implications of transferring a

What are the tax...

What are the tax implications of transferring a non-qualified annuity to an irrevocable trust?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Transferred a non-qualified annuity to an irrevocable trust and received an 1099-R. the cost basis was $100,000 and the total value at time of transfer was $162,993. the 1099-R states that the taxable amount is $62,993. Nothing was withdrawn from the account. Is this correct?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

The only way to avoid the distribution/transfer from being taxable, you would have to perform a 1035 exchange.

If you performed a 1035 exchange, your 1099 R would be coded with a "6" Section 1035 exchange (a tax-free exchange of life insurance, annuity, or endowment contracts).

When you transfer the annuity from your name to a separate taxing entity, such as a irrevocable trust, you generally will report the gain above your annuity cost basis.

In your specific scenario, if you did not complete the transfer using a 1035 exchange, then you would be responsible for taxes on the growth of $$62,993.

Generally, you are able to accomplish most estate planning needs with an annuity by naming a beneficiary to the account.

Please let me know your follow up questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Is the trust or the individual taxed?

First the individual will be taxed on the distribution/ transfer of assets.

Then the cost basis for the annuity owned by the irrevocable trust will be $162,993.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Thanks