Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need info on how to report a residential 2 family home…

Customer Question
Hi! I need...

Hi! I need info on how to report a residential 2 family home which I lived in

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

For 13 years - one floor of the house was rented - The sale price is close to my purchase price. I know there is some sort of exemption on profit, if any.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

How will I report this home sale and how will I carry forward the net profit or loss in the first page of my 1040 form? This is all for now unless I can think of other concerns later. Thanks.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You will need to treat that property as two separate assets - personal a rental.

For personal part - you are allowed to exclude the gain - up to $250k for a single person.

For rental part - you will need to calculate the gain based on adjusted basis.

Your purchase price should be adjusted by depreciation - allowed or allowable while the property was rented.

That sale is reported ion form 4797 attached to your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help with calculations.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor