Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband owns a business and is a sole proprietor. I am…

My husband owns a business...
My husband owns a business and is a sole proprietor. I am entering all his stuff into QuickBooks. He normally deducts mileage. Does that mean I leave out his fuel/gas purchases or do I enter them too? We are filing our taxes through HR Block this year.
3/13/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for requesting me.

If you choose the standard mileage rate, you cannot deduct actual car operating expenses. That means you cannot deduct maintenance and repairs, gasoline and its taxes, oil, insurance, and vehicle registration fees. The standard mileage rate includes all of those items as well as depreciation.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. I really appreciate it!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent