Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have a question regarding tx return. Can I claim travel

Have a question regarding...

Have a question regarding tx return

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can I claim travel expenses if my home location is more than 110 miles away from job location

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Thats all

3/13/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out with this.

You can deduct them only if you are going to a temporary work location.

Rev. Rul. 190 holds that daily transportation expenses are deductible business expenses when paid or incurred in going between the taxpayer’s residence and a temporary work site outside that metropolitan area.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
This is my situation; I am an IT consultant and my home location is in Sacramento, CA. I got an assignment to work at client location in Sunnyvale, CA. So for this, I rented a room for 4 nights a week in the Sunnyvale, CA and traveled to Sacramento, CA every weekend. The distance between Sunnyvale and Sacramento is almost 120 miles. My assignment was initially for 3 months and then it got extended another 3 months and after that its just getting extended every 3 months.In this case, can I claim travel expenses including gas, mileage, room etc. for tax return?

Yea, they would be unreimbursed employee expenses taken on Schedule A. It's temporary because it is not expected to last more than a year.

Just to be clear, It was initially for 3 months job but then it got extended to 1 year ?

Then it would no longer be deductible because it would no longer be considered temporary