Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do you recommend setting up an accounting system for the…

How do you recommend setting...
How do you recommend setting up an accounting system for the existing business I am purchasing? I currently have an LLC. Should I start over or take on with they have been doing? Any tax implications?
3/13/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA.
I'd stick with their current system to start. If you need a different integration with other companies, then you're fine.
For accounting on the tax return, if you change anything, you will need to do a Form 3115 with every change you want to make. Then you need to recalculate the old books to be on the new accounting methods which leads to a 481(a) adjustment. That can be very costly to get done and could cause additional tax due. That's another reason to keep it as it is.
If you need anything else, let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!
I’m making it an asset sale and rolling it into my own LLC. Does that change anything?
You wouldn't need to do a 3115 then.
But if I’m doing it under my own LLC, would I start from scratch with my own methods?
Yup. You can start from scratch with your own accounting methods, which is why you would not need to do a 3115.
Just to clarify, by accounting systems that means like QuickBooks. Accounting methods means things like accrual vs. cash.
Oh thanks for the clarification. I meant methods. Last question, where could I find what’s considered best practices in methods?
There is not really a best practices and methods guide. If you're eventually going to look for bank financing, it's recommended to use the accrual method of accounting.
Carter McBride
Thanks!