Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Husband owns 80% on stock in S corporation and wife owns…

Husband owns 80% on stock...
Husband owns 80% on stock in S corporation and wife owns 20%. Husband dies and wife has 100% of stock. I assume the S election is still valid.
3/13/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Upon the death of the husband, as long as the beneficiary of the deceased shareholder's stock qualifies as a qualified shareholder of an S Corporation, the company's S corporation is retained. Given your facts and the foregoing, the S Corp election remains valid.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you for the 4-star rating. I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.