Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I paid an PA state inheritance tax of $4200 (I live in OR).

I paid an PA...

I paid an PA state inheritance tax of $4200 (I live in OR). An article from 2010 stated that an inheritance tax can be claimed on the 1040 Federal form under "other taxes". It claimed it would only increase the basis but not be a deduction. Is this true?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I went over the $15K standard deduction if that matters and itemized to $30K.

3/13/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Basically, can I use this "inheritance tax" for filing purposes on my 2017 taxes? Or, is the IRS clear on that one. I think that article written in error ( "Sapling" 2010)

There are four types of deductible nonbusiness taxes:

Inheritance taxes you pay are added to the basis of the property inherited. They are not deducted against Federal taxes or income.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Ok, that’s what I read as well. Obviously, that magazine had no fact- checkers for tax info. Thanks

Most likely.

You are most welcome.