Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Are legal fees for setting up a trust deductible? I set up a…

Customer Question
Are legal fees for...

Are legal fees for setting up a trust deductible?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I set up a living trust in 2017 and want to know if the related fees the lawyer charged are tax deductible.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The fees you pay to set up a trust are generally considered personal expenses, which are not deductible for tax purposes. If you received advice about taxes or tax planning in relation to the trust then that amount of the fee would be allowed. You would need , if audited, to be able to show an itemized bill that lists the advise separately.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.