Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a child, and I receive a board check from the state…

I have a foster...

I have a foster child, and I receive a board check from the state of Illinois every month--$1001, as he is in specialized services. I know the board payment is nontaxable, but I'm getting conflicting advice about whether I can claim him as a dependent. The caseworker says "no" because of the board payment, but other foster parents are saying "yes".

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of, except that he lived with me all of 2017.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There are rules you need to meet to claim the child.

One is that the child cannot supply more for their own support than you provided. The amount from the board is not provided by the child.

https://www.fafsonline.org/fact_sheets/claiming-dependent-exemption-foster-care.pdf

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

I just thought of this: what if the board check is coming from a foster agency that placed him with me and not directly from Illinois DCFS?

It is not coming from the child.

Okay, thanks

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

Did you have a chance to look at the link I supplied? Read that as well.

I have read it. If I may ask you one more question...? The board payments, I'm told is nontaxable. If I claim him as a dependent, does that change?

NO, they are just reimbursements for the care you do give. They are not taxable and you know you supply more than the $1000 they give.

Okay, thanks. I guess that settles everything. Thanks again fo ryour help.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting (Scroll up to see the STARS)

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4